Winter isn’t exactly the most enticing season for getting amongst it in the drink. Sometimes it’s hard to garner motivation to enter the water – no matter how good the surf looks!
Here’re a few tips to help get your mojo going for a session in the drink.
- Make sure your wetsuit’s dry – like, completely moisture free! It may be wise to have a second (or even third) if you’re planning in multiple dunkings across consecutive days.
- Keep in mind your accessories. A quality pair of wetsuit boots, gloves and hood will serve you well. But it’s important you get the right wetsuit accessories.
- Layer up! We’re big advocates of wetsuit layering here at NCW and provide lots of different options, from thermal hooded rash vests to Merino wool wetsuit glove and boot liners for additional toastiness.
- Pick and choose your times accordingly. If you’re prone to getting cold try and aim for a slightly warmer day where the sun’s shining. Baltic, cold grey mornings won’t do you any favours.
- Get changed at home, not a the beach, lake or river, if you can.
- Don’t have your vehicle’s heating pumping out before you go afloat. Any benefit will be quickly lost and you’re more likely to feel cold.
- Keep your session short. Day long wave riding mightn’t be the best bet if you’re prone to cooling down.
- Have a towelling robe/dry robe close to hand and a warm set of clothes to change into as soon as you finish.
- Have a warm flask drink ready for sipping to help you warm up post-surf.
- If it’s really looking bleak, and you can’t face getting wet, then don’t leave if for another (warmer) time.
We#ll not lie. Winter surfing can be hard work during less than perfect weather periods. But if you prepare and have the right gear you’ll feel all the more inclined to take a dip.
Check out NCW’s range of surfing gear in the online webshop.
2021 model 5/3mm Chest Zip Gulf Stream Winter Wetsuit (mens & womens fits). All sizes NOW in stock.
NEW for 2021 – all sizes in stock North Coast Wetsuits Gulf Stream front entry / mini zip 5/3mm winter wetsuit steamer. Updated for the new season.
We are proud to announce we’ve had a delivery of our new and updated 5/3 winter chest zip streamer wetsuits. These suits have been very popular for a number of years and now come with some new features :
- Now built with 100% superstretch lightweight limestone neoprene which is more eco friendly.
- Glued and blind stitched seams.
- Spot-on tape at critical pressure joints of seams for added strength.
- Chest and back panels feature durable anti wind chill finemesh neoprene exterior and plush lined heat holding insulative interior.
- Interior lining made with low water absorption materials for quick drying.
- Anti flush envelope over head entry system.
- Tape and liquid welded reinforced over head seam closures.
- Snug fit anti flush wrists with internal silicon grip tape.
- Rubberised anti flush neck lining.
- DuraFlex reinforced kneepads.
- High quality YKK metal zip.
- Anatomical suit shaping.
- Our new neoprene blend is more scratch / snag / velcro hook resistance than standard neoprene.
This wetsuit will keep you amazingly warm in the coldest waters, such as the UK and Northern Europe. It works well for surfing, stand up paddle boarding, windsurfing, kitesurfing, siton kayaking and a whole host of other watersports. If you’re looking for performance, quality and a product that won’t let you down the NCW Gulf Stream 5/3mm winter wetsuit is just the ticket. This wetsuit, being so flexible, is also highly recommend for SUP, but don’t just take our word for that, see the full review HERE in SUP Mag UK magazine
Size guide below. Note our wetsuits are a unisex fit and we sell many to ladies as well as gents. If your stats fit the chart then the suit will work regardless of your gender.
|Small Tall||5’8″- 6′ (169-180cm)||34″-36″(86-91cm)||27″-29″(69-74cm)||32″-34″(81-86cm)|
|Medium Small||5’6″-5’9″ (167-175cm)||36″-38″(91-97cm)||29″-31″(64-79cm)||32″-34″(81-86cm)|
|Medium Small Tall||5’10”-6’2″ (176-187cm)||36″-38″(91-97cm)||29″-32″(64-79cm)||32″-34″(81-86cm)|
|Medium Tall||5’11”-6’2″ (180-187cm)||38″-41″(97-104cm)||32″-34″(79-86cm)||36″-39″(90-98cm)|
|Medium Large||5’10”-6’2″ (178-187cm)||40″-44″(102-109cm)||35″-37″(88-94cm)||38″-41″(96-104cm)|
|Large Short||5’7″-5’11” (170-180cm)||42″-45″(107-114cm)||35″-38″(89-96cm)||40″-43″(102-109cm)|
|Xtra Large||6’2″-6’4″ (187-193cm)||44″-47″(112-119cm)||37″-39″(94-99cm)||42″-45″(107-114cm)|
|Xtra Xtra Large||6’2″-6’4″ (187-193cm)||46″-49″(117-125cm)||39″-42″(99-106cm)||44″-46″(112-117cm)|